Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Summer Playlist: This Tornado Loves You - Neko Case

I have always gotten Neko Case and Rilo Kiley confused, easily accomplished by not listening to either of them.

"This is the one we like," said Patsy to Edina and Edina to Patsy.

Happily, this is the one coming to Breese Field in Madison, on a bill with Ray LaMontagne, whom I don't mind either. There is a characterless bar across from the field where you can hear just as well and don't have to stand in line for beer or water or, you know, get jostled while quietly considering tornadoes.

Neko Case has a legitimate voice you want to hear (my bête noire being the legions of baby-ladies doing "pretty music," a bête I fickley embrace according to particular sheens of coat or shapes of spine) and writes unforced poetic song-specific lyrics -- not poetry laid to music, which is all I could ever hope to manage.

I miss, I miss
I miss, I miss
I miss, I miss
I miss, I miss

How you sigh yourself to sleep

If you're going to write about love, which you are, which one is, apparently it's required, then hell yeah be a force of nature. Unforced force... nice.

Points For:

+ Nice red hair and no affected faces
+ Fully four unnecessary backup singers
+ Guitarists who would not smile for ready money, would strum straight through any storm

Points Against:

- Kinda short (so hit repeat)












No comments:

Post a Comment